Did you know that each person throws away 4.5 lbs of trash every single day? In addition, paper is three-quarters of any office’s waste. It is estimated that 1.5 lbs of paper waste is thrown away every day. That comes out to be about 4 million tons of paper used every year. What can you do?
All of the garbage in Medina County goes to the Medina County Recycling Center. At this facility, the trash is sorted and recyclables are pulled out. Because of this, Medina County is one of the largest recyclers in the state. But there are things you can do to help (from recyclemedinacounty.com):
NEWSPAPERS – Either bag all newspapers, including inserts, in “brown craft bags” that can be obtained from most grocery stores, or tie them in bundles before placing them at the curb or in the trash.
CARDBOARD – Breakdown and flatten corrugated cardboard boxes before placing them at the curb or in the trash. DO NOT PUT ANY REFUSE IN CARDBOARD BOXES.
GLASS BOTTLES and JARS – Separate glass bottles and jars by color, rinse and take to the nearest “igloo” glass drop off site.
ALL OTHER RECYCLABLES – Combine the following four (4) recyclable materials in one (1) separate refuse bag: All food (steel) and beverage (aluminum) cans. Rinse all cans. Do not crush. Plastic bottles (numbers 1 and 2 only). Rinse, remove caps and crush all plastic bottles. All Food boxes, e.g., cereal and cake mixes. Flatten and pull out any wax paper linings. All other clean and dry miscellaneous papers, e.g., junk mail, school/office papers, envelopes.
Other ways you can “Green” your business:
- Use a Filtered Water System.
- Buy reusable glasses for drinking out of. Eliminate the throw away plastic items from your business.
- Print on both sides of the paper.
- Send e-mails as an option instead of mailing, out notices, letters and reminders. Also use paperless faxing of e-mails.
- Report leaky faucets. It saves up to 20 gallons of water a day.
- Buy 35% post consumer recycled paper products.
- Use landscape companies that use electric equipment rather than gas.
- Turn off your computer monitor when not in use.
- Avoid using large office equipment during the 3p.m. to 7p.m. peak.
- Instead of traveling to meetings, use online conference calls whenever possible.
- Encourage employees to telecommute one day a week.
- Set up a paperless billing system for your customers.
- If you are using your car for lunch, park and go inside; avoid car idling in drive-thrus.
Creating a Green Business
Using green business practices helps the environment but can also save you money. Check out these options to help you do both!
Reducing Hazardous Materials
Protecting People’s Health